These are the loveliest snacks to serve on the table, especially when there are special celebrations for the kids. Potatoes shaped in smiley faces are simply loved and adored by the children. It is one of the easiest and most fun ways to serve the same old mashed potatoes in an exciting style. There is also a good use of spices in this recipe, which gives the potatoes a unique taste and aroma. The breadcrumbs are added to add a crispy texture to each potato smiley. Potato smileys taste best when they are served warm and fresh. Since potatoes are already boiled to make the smiley, it only takes a few minutes of frying.
- 5 Potatoes (Medium sized)
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Paprika Powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs
- Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
Crispy Potato Smileys
Amount Per Serving
Calories 258 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 0.2g1%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g
Vitamin A 10IU0%
Vitamin C 52mg63%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Potato Masher
- Cookie Cutter
Prepare the Stuffing:
- Fill a large glass bowl with enough water to soak potatoes. Add potatoes to this water and rub them well to remove all the dirt from their skin.5 Potatoes
- Place a large stockpot filled with water over medium-high heat. Add a teaspoon of salt and potatoes to this water. Allow the potatoes to cook for 15-20 minutes until they are al-dente. They ack the doneness of the potatoes by inserting the fork into their flesh.
- Drain the boiled potatoes and rinse them under cold water to allow them to cool down. Peel all the potatoes and add their flesh to a large glass bowl.
- Now use a fork or a masher to mash the potatoes well and do not leave any lumps in this mash. Start adding salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs, cornstarch, and paprika to this mash.1½ tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black Pepper, ¼ tsp Paprika Powder, 2 tbsp Cornstarch, ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs, ¼ tsp Cumin Powder
- Mix it all well until the mash looks a ball of dough. Transfer this dough to the work surface and spread it into a ½ inch thick round using oily fingers.
- Usea round cookie cutter to cut 3 rounds of this mixture. Roll the remaining doughagain and cut another round of this dough.
- Keep these circles on the working surface and use a straw tip to make two eyes on each circle. Use the curve of a spoon to make a smiling face over each circle.
Fry and Serve:
- Once the oil is heated well, add the potato smileys to the oil and deep fry them for 2-4 minutes until they are golden brown from all the sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove the smiley from the oil and allow the excess oil to drain.Cooking Oil
- Serve warm with your favorite sauce.
- The potato smileys can also be preserved in the freezer like frozen nuggets etc.
- To store these smileys, place them in a tray and then place this tray in the freezer.
- After 3 hours, transfer the frozen smileys to a ziplock bag and seal it to the store again.
- To serve again, directly fry them in hot oil without thawing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Mention and Tag #kidstiffinbox on Instagram
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to Subscribe our YouTube Channel to get more kids special recipes