This half-moon pie will make your mouth water with its chicken and vegetable filling. Then there is a white sauce, which infuses a unique taste into the chicken. The dough is prepared using butter and flour mixture which makes it extremely soft and light. I have fried these moon pies for a crispier texture, but you can also bake them in the oven to avoid excess use of oil.Coat the pies with breadcrumbs liberally to get much of the crisp. You can also store these half-moon pies in the freezer for 1-2 weeks at most. To assemble, first prepare their dough and keep it aside to settle. Meanwhile, you can prepare the chicken filling for the inside. Finally, bring them together and fry them!
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 pcs Green Chilies (chopped)
- ½ cup Onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Chicken (minced)
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ cup Carrot (grated)
- ¼ cup Spring Onions (chopped)
- ½ cup White Sauce
- 1 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1½ cups Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1½ cups Flour
- 2 pcs Egg
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1½ tbsp Milk
- 2 cups Breadcrumbs
- Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
Crispy and Creamy Chicken Half Moon Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1988 Calories from Fat 432
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 15g94%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 19g
Vitamin A 11427IU229%
Vitamin C 16mg19%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Prepare the Stuffing
- Place a suitable skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil, green chili, and onion. Stir and fry them together until they become somewhat soft and transparent.1 tbsp Olive Oil, 3 pcs Green Chilies, ½ cup Onion
- Add ginger-garlic paste, boneless chicken minced, and salt, then to stir cook for 5 minutes until the chicken half-cooked and changes their color.1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste, 1 cup Chicken, Salt
- Add carrot and chopped spring onion then stir and cook for 5 minutes over medium flame till the meat is cooked completely.½ cup Carrot, ¼ cup Spring Onions
- Add white sauce and dried coriander. And after mixing everything up for 1 minute, our stuffing will be ready.½ cup White Sauce, 1 tsp Dried Coriander
- Set a pot on medium heat. Add water, butter (you can also use oil), salt, and sugar.1½ cups Water, ½ tsp Salt, 1 tbsp Butter, 1 tsp Sugar
- Wait till boiling the water and the butter melt over medium flame.
- Add flour with a sieve. Stir and mix it well.1½ cups Flour
- Cover the pot after putting off the heat. Leave it for 5 minutes till it cools down a little (not completely).
- Transfer the dough to a bowl when it's cold enough to touch.
- Knead the dough well until it becomes soft and smooth dough.
- Cover it with a damp cloth for 1 hour.
- Flatten it with hand and roll the dough into a 1/8-inch sheet (like thin chapati).
- Use a 3 inches cookie cutter to cut rounds out of this dough. ( or you can also use a large glass mouth or bottle lid as well)
- Fill the round-shaped doughs with the chicken filling in the middle and fold the rounds in half (like half-moon shape).
- Pinch their edges to seal the filling inside. The Pies are ready.
Coat the Pies
- Take two eggs in a bowl. Then add salt, black pepper powder, and milk. Whisk everything together quite well so that we don't have the huge lumps of the egg whites.2 pcs Egg, ½ tsp Black Pepper, 1½ tbsp Milk, ½ tsp Salt
- Dip each moon pie in this milk and egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs.2 cups Breadcrumbs
Fry and Serve
- Put a wok over medium-high heat and add oil for deep frying. Allow the oil to heat.Cooking Oil
- Add the coated moon pies to the hot oil and deep fry them until golden from both sides.
- Transfer them to a plate lined with a paper towel using a slotted spoon.
- Serve warm.
- To preserve the moon pies, place them in a container lined with a parchment sheet. If you are keeping them in a stack then make sure to insert a parchment sheet in between two layers. Seal and store in the freezer.
- To fry, the frozen pie, directly deep fries them without leaving room temperature to thaw.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Mention and Tag #kidstiffinbox on Instagram
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to Subscribe our YouTube Channel to get more kids special recipes