This traditional carrot dessert is one of the most famous and sought dessert recipes in the Indian subcontinent. It is partly because of its mildly sweet taste, plus all the vegans can freely enjoy it. The recipe is pretty simple, in which shredded carrots are cooked with sugar and milk mainly, and then some powdered milk and ghee are added to give the dessert a soothing taste. The use of cardamom powder in the recipe adds a new twist of flavors to it. The best part about carrot halwa is that you can get to preserve it for as long as 7 days in your refrigerator and enjoy it whenever you want. Some people like it hot, while others love it chilled.
- 3 cup Grated Carrot
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk Powder
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1/5 tbsp Cardamom Powder
Carrot Halwa Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1589 Calories from Fat 639
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 43g269%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 20g
Vitamin A 752IU15%
Vitamin C 7mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Broad Skillet
- Food Processor
Prepare the Stuffing:
- Take a broad skillet and add 1 tablespoon of ghee into it. Let this ghee melt over medium heat. Then stir in shredded carrot.3 cup Grated Carrot, 3 tbsp Ghee
- Stir cook the carrots until all of their moisture evaporates completely, and the ghee is separated from the carrots.
- Add ½ cup sugar and mix well with carrots, add more sugar and mix it again. Finally, add evaporated milk, and cardamom powder then covers the lid to cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.1 cup Evaporated Milk, 3/4 cup Sugar, 1/5 tbsp Cardamom Powder, 1/2 cup Milk Powder
- Remove the lid and stir in powdered milk then mix it well to incorporate. Stir in remaining ghee and mix well.
- Garnish as desired and serve.
- Shredded nuts are usually used to garnish this carrot dessert, but it is not mentioned in the recipe since not everyone likes to have a nuts topping. You can serve the nuts on the side of the dessert.
- Keep the halwa stored in a closed and sealed container. And avoid eating directly from the store dessert. Take it separately in a serving bowl and put the rest back in the refrigerator.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Mention and Tag #kidstiffinbox on Instagram
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to Subscribe our YouTube Channel to get more kids special recipes