No desi Indo-Pak cuisine is complete without the use of Halwa; it is present at the center of every other dessert menu. There are several ways to enjoy a halwa but the recipe we are going to share here today is going to amaze you as it is super simple and easy. This time we are making halwa with an entirely different set of ingredients, mainly the Bread! That’s right! And even tastes great. The bread is first deeply fried and then cooked and soaked in the saffron mixture, which infuses very soothing flavors into it. Then it is roughly mashed to get a Halwa texture. Toasted nuts are then added to enhance their taste up to many folds.
- 4 Bread Slices (edges trimmed and cubed)
- Cooking Oil (to deep fry)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 2 tbsp Cashews
- 1 cup Water
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp Saffron
- ½ tsp Cardamom Ground
- ¼ cup Mixed Dried Fruits (chopped)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 547 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 11g69%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Vitamin A 0.1IU0%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- Cooking Pot
- Deep Wok
Fry the Bread Slices:
- Heat in a deep wok and deep fry the bread cubes until golden brown from all sides. Transfer these golden cubes to a plate and keep them aside.4 Bread Slices, Cooking Oil
Prepare the Stuffing:
- Add 1 tbsp ghee, 1 tbsp raisins, and 2 tbsp cashews to a pan and stir cook until golden brown. Then keep them aside.1 tbsp Ghee, 1 tbsp Raisins, 2 tbsp Cashews
- Pour 1 cup water into the same pan, then add 1/3 cup sugar, then stir and cook until dissolved.1 cup Water, ⅓ cup Sugar
Cook Properly and Serve:
- Stir in saffron, and cardamom then cook it to a boil. Add golden brown cubes to the water. Mix well and leave them to soak all he water. Mash the bread cubes using a spatula.¼ tsp Saffron, ½ tsp Cardamom Ground, ¼ cup Mixed Dried Fruits
- Stir in fried nuts, raisins and fresh mixed dried nuts.
- Mix well and serve.
- Do not overcook and over-fry the bread cubes; make sure they are just golden brown.
- If you want to make it richer, then add half and half cream or milk to the halwa instead of water.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was! Mention and Tag #kidstiffinbox on Instagram
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to Subscribe our YouTube Channel to get more kids special recipes